The name ‘Magen David Adom’ means ‘Red Shield or Red Star of David.
Magen David Adom is Israel’s only national medical emergency, disaster, ambulance and blood service, and since June 2006 Magen David Adom has been officially recognised by the International Committee of the Red Cross as the national aid society of Israel.
Established by volunteers in 1930, MDA’s objectives and its legal status were officially defined in the ‘Magen David Adom Law’ passed by the Knesset (Israel’s Parliament) on July 12, 1950.
Today, Magen David Adom’s activities include:
- Responsibility for all Israel’s first aid and pre-hospital medical emergency training
- Providing and maintaining Israel’s 1,100 ambulances, stationed across Israel
- The collection and supply of 300,000 units of blood each year
- Cooperation with the Palestinian Red Crescent
- Sharing expertise internationally on dealing with mass casualty situations
- Local social-action projects
Magen David Adom Switzerland plays a vital support role for Magen David Adom in Israel. Since its foundation in 1982, the swiss Friends have helped to fund a range of development projects including the building of new casualty stations, the supply of ambulances and specialist Mobile Intensive Care Units and supplying other vital medical supplies.
We need your help today and in perpetuity to help ensure that Magen David Adom will be able to respond to every call for help whenever it is needed.
“Whoever has saved one life has saved an entire world”.
|President||Dr. med. David Scheiner|
|Vice-president||Lic. iur. Simon Urbach|
|Quästor||Dr. med. Itai Pasternak|
|Managing director||Mina Scheiner|